Forrestfield Primary School
A brief history
The first school in Forrestfield was built on the corner of Hale and Hawtin Roads. The order to commence the erection of a 24 by 18 foot wooden school room with a front veranda was given in December 1926. This was at the standard price of 465 pounds. The building was completed on the 16th March 1927 and Mrs Ursula Showel commenced as first teacher on the 5th April that year.
The official opening was conducted by Mr RS Simpson, the member for Swan on the 11th May 1927. The school was required for 24 children who were living in the area and had previously been attending Wattle Grove and Maida Vale schools. The name of the school was first listed in 1927 as Forest Field. The following year it was shown as Forrest Field and in 1944 the name became Forrestfield.
In 1965 work was completed on the first stage of the present school in Sussex Road. It began with three classrooms, toilets and a general purpose room at a cost of 18,344 pounds. The building was occupied on the 8th September 1965. The first Headmaster was Mr John Hardwick. The Honourable Minister for Education, Mr EHM Lewis officially opened the new school on the 23rd April 1966. In 1969/70 a competition was held for the design of a school crest. The present crest was the winning entry by Michael Knox, Year 5 and his sister Colleen Knox (now Hodgson) Year 8. The word ‘CRANA’ is Gaelic and was carried over from the original school and means “WELCOME’. The school grew to 690 by 1976 and in 1977, Woodlupine PS opened to take the children in Years 1 to 4 on the north side of Hale Road.
In 1982 Forrestfield Primary became two schools on the one site with a different administration for the Year 1, 2 and Pre-Primary. This school was given the title of Forrestfield Early Childhood Unit with Miss P Starkey as the Principal. Amalgamation of the two schools commenced in February of 1994.
In 1997 after 24½ years as principal of Forrestfield Primary, Mr Ken Waters retired and Mr Neil Taylor was appointed until his retirement in 2005. Mrs Lesley Meyers was appointed at the commencement of 2006, and with the reclassification of Forrestfield Primary School for 2009, was transferred to Alinjarra Primary School. We welcomed the appointment of Ms Diane Greenaway in 2009.
The purpose of the school, stated briefly is – ‘To provide an environment that enables students to develop to the best of their potential as responsible members of society’.
Forrestfield Primary School teaches and promotes the virtues of respect, honesty, responsibility, self discipline, courtesy, kindness, perseverance and tolerance.
Our school wide expectations are Treat Everyone Decently (TED) by being respectful, responsible and safe.